Tuesday, May 20, 2008

A Poem

During my second cramping “episode” in week #3, after the staff had poured electrolytes into me and I had rested in my room, I was still a bit delirious and continuing to cramp during the evening lecture. Christian, one of the staff members here in Shangri-La, made a liquid concoction of sea salt, apple juice, lime juice and water mixed in a jug to get my electrolytes back in balance. The 2 liters were to be consumed in the next hour and a half and I made a comment about its secret ingredients and Christian said that the secret ingredient it was made with was love. I keep thinking about how quickly he said it and my own reluctance to share my emotions in the past. 2 years ago I certainly would not have made a comment like that. A real man acknowledges his emotions and is not afraid to share them with others. A real man does not consider himself weak because he reveals the depth of his soul. You are a real man Christian and I’m glad I had the opportunity to make your acquaintance. It made me think about some of my own emotions and I wrote this last week.

Hello my old friend anger
My new light makes you hide
Your reign as king is over
It’s time that hope was tried

You really do look weary
My faithful little friend
Relax and take it easy
There’s nothing to defend

I know it’s not for ever
This parting of the ways
We’ll play again together
Just much, much shorter stays

You’ll come again from time to time
I’ll never quite be free
I wouldn’t want to lose you though
You are a part of me

I know where I can find you
I see you in my brow
Sleep well my loyal servant
And say good-bye for now

Thanks for the inspiration Christian!