Saturday, May 10, 2008

Half way home

There was talk today (Friday afternoon) about the difficulty factor associated with this training and I stated that I was personally glad the difficulty level was as high as it was. I wanted it to be hard. Extremely hard in fact, so that when it was all over, I can tell stories about struggle, perseverance and overcoming (mostly to students who think they have hit the wall and can’t continue). I also like the fact that 300 other people, my new friends, who attended this training along with me know that the stories, struggles and perseverance are not some braggadocios figment of my imagination. They know because they have shared in the tears, the doubt and the pain. They also will know the triumph of accomplishment that goes along with the successful completion of this course. I’m afraid that I would have very little respect for the lineage, the certificate of completion as well as for all of those that went before me if it were any other way and while we struggle with many aspects of this training on a daily and even hourly basis, I want to say that to a person, everyone feels the same way, at least I would like to think so. To me, it’s like I’m being asked to prove that I am worthy to carry on the work of spreading Bikram yoga in an effort to help people eradicate some of the pain and suffering in their lives. I’ve never really been one who longs for the approval of “the group” but this seems like something worth putting tremendous effort into. For as long as I can remember I’ve had to prove everything to myself (whatever the topic was). Here’s what you’ll find if you muster up the courage to test what “they” say. “They” say, don’t touch that or you’ll get shocked and what that really means once tested is 30% of the time there is no shock at all, 30% of the time there is somewhat of a shock, but nothing to fret about and 30% of the time your ass flat gets shocked! We have some high voltage running through this deal and it makes me feel alive to be participating in it and to prove to myself that it is worth every drop of expended energy I have utilized so far and then some! Push me to the breaking point and let’s see how I respond. I know this for certain, from now on when I run into another who has completed this training (or participated here along with me) there will be a certain understanding that we share that goes far beyond what words can describe and frankly it may be one of the things I look forward to the most.

Here’s a story for you. A fellow named Mark from Las Vegas was a bystander when a fight broke out and the participants crashed into his leg, injuring his knee rather severely. I know for sure he dislocated his patella as well as some possible ligament damage and perhaps a broken bone. This happened 3 weeks prior to teacher training and when he notified headquarters they told him he should still attend if he wanted. Bikram, being intimate with knee injuries (for those that don’t know Bikram himself severely damaged his own knee weight lifting as a younger man and rehabilitated it by performing yoga) focused right in on Mark during several postures that required a bit of knee flexibility. I actually had a chance to talk to Mark during the first week or two and saw that his knee was noticeably swollen. In a scene out of some sort of televangelist church healing, Bikram insists that Mark could go back into a difficult posture on the knees called fixed firm. With Bikram’s “strong encouragement”, Mark did and Bikram throws away Mark’s knee brace saying he no longer needed it. I talked to Mark afterwards and he said he was icing his knee and it was still fairly sensitive. Several classes later, Bikram actually stands on Mark’s knee while he is in that same posture. It was absolutely incredible. I wish I had a camera to document the incident with before and after pictures although the longer you are around this yoga the more incidents like this you witness. You’re a stud Mark and inspire me to get my stiff kneed, tight-hipped self back in fixed firm every time I perform it now.

Someone finally mentioned my nervous habit of constant movement. Courtney called me rain man yesterday as I sat there rocking in the lecture hall chair buffing my nails. That sounds a wee bit weird, doesn’t it? Just because you’re away from home doesn’t mean you can neglect personal hygiene! Anyway, I had actually almost stopped that behavior, or at least slowed it down quite a bit and don’t know if it has started again because of the pressures placed upon me here or if I am regressing towards some sort of complete elimination of the habit. We will see, as only time will tell. I have been a constant ball of energy and have rocked back and forth for as long as I can remember, even as a child. I distinctly remember telling high school teachers when threatened with punishment for this behavior that my mother couldn’t get me to stop, what sort of chance did they think they had? By the end of the semester there were always several others exhibiting the exact same behavior, which got me in even more trouble!

100 classes seems out of reach in my mind at this point, although Melissa read the blog and courageously offered to perform the classes with me. After she calculated that we would have to perform a double on one Saturday, as well as do a class on every remaining Sunday the desire to reach that goal evaporated like water on the sidewalk during a hot summer’s day. 95 classes will have to suffice! Thanks Melissa for the offer…

Week 5 was tough in many ways. Sometimes it’s hard to see the forest through the trees. I’m not sure who said it, but someone here said that Hatha yoga is confrontational in its nature; you confront yourself. That statement is so true and at times you can lose perspective. The emotional releases continue to turn on and off and can at times be not only overwhelming but quite confusing as well. I said I would like a couple more of them before I left and someone has seen to it that the hits just keep on coming! That being said, I received some words from home via email that said keep on wretchin’ and stretchin’, rockin' and lockin’. I loved it and it made me smile at exactly the right time. Thanks for the encouragement as well as the kind thoughts & words!

The subject is sleep deprivation and I have always been a stay up late kind of guy, as was my father. Generally speaking however there was a little bit of sleeping later the following morning that went along with it. Not here. The morning class starts at 8:30 sharp, no exceptions (that is except for the Saturday class which starts at 8:00 sharp). Bikram is know for lecturing late into the night on a variety of subjects and apparently not only is he going to do that, but he has also added a new twist, movie marathons. The DVD is a 94-hour compilation of something called the Mahabharata and if I understand correctly it is a mythological depiction of the creation of the earth, human beings and India that apparently is well known and taught in India from childhood. The first installation on Thursday evening went on until approximately 2:30 am and Friday’s installation went on until 4:08 am. Bikram almost seemed gleeful as people staggered out of the lecture hall towards their rooms for a quick nap prior to class. I had a surprisingly good class on Saturday with only about 2.5 hours of sleep but feel like I’m in another dimension right now! It sort of reminded me of Sabat sensei’s Japanese movie marathons during my martial arts training days (poor quality, bad acting, subtitles and all) but without all of the sake!

I really like the fact that no one gets paid to be here. No offense to anyone who thinks it should be otherwise of course as I have no say in the matter, but visiting teachers don’t have a horse in this race. Actually, we are the horse they have in the race and while some teachers seem to be somewhat negative in posture clinic and exhibit an air of superiority and condescension, most are truly helpful and positive in their reviews as well as kind with their criticisms. At least that’s been my experience. Incidentally, apparently far more people here have been reading this blog than I expected, teachers included! I’ve been approached by several people this week and told they have been following along. I guess I never thought of that when I initially decided to do this, I just wanted to relay some information to the people back home. A bit of a slow learner, I guess that’s where the whole “World Wide” part comes in regarding the name World Wide Web! I’ll have to remember that for next time and of course I hope I have not offended anyone with any of the observations I have documented so far.

Since that is the case, someone explain the whole “ours was worse than yours” thing to me. I don’t want to upset anyone or make any enemies, but it is my understanding that everyone does two classes a day in addition to posture clinics to learn as well as deliver the dialogue, correct? Everyone had to attend all lectures given also, correct? Any omissions on the sign in sheet were punishable by make up classes, correct? Now, while I would not want to sit on the floor of the headquarters’ studio after class for posture clinic or lecture, I also wasn’t real thrilled to have diarrhea for 3 weeks while my intestinal track became familiar with the many different microbes it was being exposed and introduced to in this wonderful vacation paradise. I’m not sure if the Mexican people coined the phrase Montezuma’s revenge or not, but I have a feeling that it was someone just like me who couldn’t quite figure out what the hell was happening to their body after a short stay here. Combine that pleasant overall experience with the imbalance now created in your system with regards to electrolytes and fluid retention and you have a wonderful physical treat awaiting you during and/or after class.

I know we have maid service, our own bathrooms and only 1 roommate but a rental car in California, LA restaurants, Universal Studios or maybe a Dodger or Laker playoff game has got to be worth something when it comes to creature comforts, not to mention the relatively low humidity in southern California’s desert climate. Speaking of rental cars, you should see how the Mexican people drive! You thought LA was bad, at least the road signs are in English! Apparently a red light is simply a suggestion (or the beginning of some sort of race to the intersection, I’m not quite sure) and horns are constantly sounding as vehicles speed towards the intersections completely ignoring the “2 lane system” as we know it.

I know, I know, the bloody shuttle van and the parking lot for lunch. Counter balance that with calling cards that don’t work properly, email issues here at the hotel, cell phone issues, exchanging money and the fact that it costs $800 bones a piece and a stop or two (plus hotel charges here at the beautiful Fairmont Princess) to get a friend and/or family member here instead of Northwest’s nonstop, $296, 7 day in advance flight and a stay at a Comfort Inn. Ah! Don’t forget the language barrier for those of you not up on your Espanol. You should have seen me attempting to return a 16-piece set of silverware I accidentally purchased because I could not read the label the first time. All five of the people gathered around me were looking at me as if to say, stupid gringo. The manager kept counting out the pieces and intimating that the count was correct, there were 16 pieces there, what did I want, all the while I was trying to say I just wanted 1 spoon, 1 fork and 1 knife thank you very much! I still haven’t figured out what type of meat I have been buying. All I am certain of is it’s not the chicken skins hanging in the meat department where all of the “fresh” meat has an odd, bright red color to it and sometimes you can actually find the seafood lying on the floor and watch as an employee picks it up and puts it back on the ice with the others on display. Apparently there’s a completely different sets of government regulation in play here!

And let’s not forget the buffet food. Actually, the buffet food is great and I can’t tell you how tasty the fresh orange, grapefruit and papaya juice is, especially right after class. I have been attempting to bribe someone to get a juice dispenser in my room. Freshly made omelets at your request every morning from the man who will make whatever style egg you want! All this happens after swimming in a saltwater pool to cool down a bit after class. Forget the Epsom salt baths, baby! Freshly sliced fruits sit in giant bowls just waiting for you to shovel it on to your plate. Chicken, fish, vegetables, greens, pastries, guacamole, ripe avocados, soups and even oatmeal, bagels and salmon all for the taking, and guess what, you don’t have to wash a single plate! How cool is that! Sign your room number and you’re off to the next segment of your training!

East coast, west coast yo! Can’t we all just get along? It’s been a while since I’ve watched Saturday night live but I remember Dana Carvey’s depiction of “The Grumpy Old Man”. If you don’t remember Wikipedia says, he was an embittered archetypical grandfather figure with white hair, glasses, and a sour sneer. He would usually appear as a commentator complaining about the state of the world, mainly in regard to the many modern conveniences. His complaints always included differences between today and "his day" (In my day, we didn't have safety standards for toys. We got rusty nails and big bags of broken glass for Christmas! That's the way it was, and we liked it! We loved it!"). I’m just having some fun here in a sleep deprived sort of way, but the training is the training and while there are many differences I think that the experiences are very similar and in the end I can’t believe for a moment that the brain trust has not made “adjustments” based on the different environments in which the training takes place. Everyone seems to focus on the Acapulco factor. Believe me when I tell you that I have not been on vacation for the past 5 weeks! Did I mention that the buffet was open for something like 5 hours every day?