Saturday, April 12, 2008

When we last...

New episodes of the old television series Batman used to start like that. When we last left our yogi Frank he was talking about his 5th class and what happened afterwards. Well, classes #6 as well as #7 were pretty rough. My calf muscles and several little muscles that run along each side of the shinbone were really sore from all of the cramping. Try tightening your bicep like a bodybuilder and then hold it for 30 minutes! The next day your muscle says, are you crazy? We need to heal! And so it was and still is for me. Classes #8 and #9 were better as far as recover goes, but not so much with regards to the temperature of the room and my ability to perform the entire class. Lightheaded and dizzy are the main words that come to mind. I actually started to get loopy on the very first posture.

I have to tell you though; there are people who have congregated here from all over the world. You name the place and someone is from close by. Everyone seems genuinely willing to help each other through the experience. I think in a weaker moment though, I must confess that I actually did put a hex on someone who did a really weak triangle and made everyone else hold it until he corrected it. Either that or Bikram got tired of pointing it out. Honestly, I could have put the whammy on myself because my triangle had completely broken down and I can’t understand if Bikram is yelling at me or not! It very well could have been me causing everyone distress and I never knew it. Hope that wasn’t the case and I hope my mojo for hexes is weak!

I also have noticed that some of “The beautiful” people are starting to break down as well. They say everyone will hit the wall; it’s just a matter of when. I hate to say I find pleasure in this, but it was pointed out today that many people are the “rock stars” of their studios but here everyone is the same. Just like starting over again at some point. I am making it a point, now that I have regained my senses, to ask everyone how they are feeling when I meet them. I am also attempting to not take the same spot twice in the studio. I want to experience every square inch of the room and not allow my mind to say one place is better than another. Just like at home, it’s all a state of mind! I’m also attempting not to gravitate towards any specific group of people (i.e. those my own age). I want to experience everyone from everywhere to better round out the experience. I don't see that as much of an issue as meet & greets are one of my specialties! Quite a few people are older or the same age as I am, but most are considerably younger.

Saturday’s class was the best so far! Made it through every posture without going down once. I wouldn’t allow it to be filmed and sent back home for dissection, but good nonetheless. We have the rest of Saturday as well as all day Sunday off. Sleep is on the agenda along with replenishing food supplies and a little relaxation. One of the pools here is filled with salt water and I spent some time in it yesterday. Sort of like an Epsom salt bath but outside where you can talk to others and commiserate. Quite nice actually! It’s a real slick setup. Tomorrow I’ll be going around and taking more pictures of the grounds and people.