Thursday, April 17, 2008

California dreaming

Stayed up late last night blogging (until about 1:30 am) and woke up at my regular time, 6:30. I waited for my roommate to finish in the shower, as is our routine and went in for my morning constitutional. Let me start by saying the toilets stink here as far as water pressure and flushing action is concerned. We have each commented on it several times. In fact, so does the drainage for the shower. My guess, of course, is the plumbing but you have to flush the toilet 3 or 4 times in order to remove any trace of your presence and with how my stomach has been feeling, that’s a lot of standing and waiting and flushing. By the way, my stomach feels much better today. I’m hoping that closes the chapter on that sad story and if not I’m going to address it at the store this weekend!

Anyway, as I sat there and flushed, and again forgive me for that image, I start to hear an extremely loud rumbling coming from the pipes located directly under me. It sounded like when air gets into the pipes and for a moment I thought water was going to come shooting up out of the porcelain and I was going to look like a cartoon character sitting on a stream of water as it rocketed towards the heavens! Then the toilet started to shake and just as quickly everything stopped. I said to my roommate, man these toilets really do suck! It was only later as I began to hear reports from others about their beds shaking and the like that it dawned on me; we had just experienced an earthquake! Now I’m actually familiar with them from my time in California having experienced several and would put this one on a scale of about 3.5, but have yet to hear anything “official”. I had forgotten that the same fault line in California runs all of the way down South America and earthquakes are as commonplace here as they are there!

Here's the official word! "The quake was centered 25 miles north of Acapulco, seismologists said. Mexico's National Seismological Services put the magnitude as 6.1, while the U.S. Geological Survey said it measured at 5.5."