Saturday, April 5, 2008

Ready, Set...

I was, as always, concerned about seating on the flight. The airlines charge extra now for where you sit on the plane and although I had requested an isle seat, the plane appeared to be full when I went online to preprint my boarding pass. I have always attempted to sit on the isle or bulkhead for the extra room they provide. I believe that an isle seat is now considered a “premium” seat and an additional charge is levied. Incidentally, for those who do not know (I just found out last week), you are now allowed only 1 carry on and 1 checked piece of luggage these days. Bummer! More additional charges! They charge $80 each way international, $25 for domestic. Because I booked my flight well ahead of time I was allowed to check 2 bags and that was enough for me.

I kept thinking I was at the wrong gate because there was no one waiting for the plane. I was practically alone there. This giant waiting area empty at 5:45 am, surely I must be at the wrong gate, on the wrong day, at the wrong time. I kept wondering around the stewardess trying to reassure myself that I was at the right place. It must have creeped her out because even after she told me that I was in the right spot, I was still pacing around her little area staring at my boarding pass and then repeatedly shifting my gaze between her eyes and the display behind her. I’m surprised she didn’t call security and have me dragged into some TSA interrogation cellar in the bowels of the airport to get to the bottom of my odd behavior. When you shave your head, you can get that sort of reaction from people!

Well, no need to worry. There were 23 people total on the flight! I had the entire row to myself. Could have stretched out across 3 seats and fallen asleep sideways for several hours. Patrice did exactly that! It was a very smooth flight, left on time and landed 30 minutes early. Patrice and I parted ways at the airport as she was staying at a different hotel for the night, so I await the arrival of Mary and Carla who are taking a later flight.

First thing I did prior to going to the room was wander over to the Bikram’s hospitality desk and ask about viewing the room we will be practicing in. They gave me directions and I walked around the corner about 50 yards and talked to someone positioned to greet people, and apparently at the same time, work on her tan. She was doing a good job on both fronts. As I walked inside I asked about the number of attendees and was told about the same as in previous years. 280 people were signed up as of last week and surely there would be more to bring the total to around 325. The entry way is a balcony of sorts that’s positioned 1 floor above and at the rear of the room.

The first thing that strikes you is an enormous banner of Bikram in his classic spine-twisting pose. It has to be 150 feet long and 60 feet high running above the entire length of the back or entry wall of the room. That wall is glass of course, for full viewing of the room and the activities going on inside and the room is massive. I mean huge! Maybe there will be a bit of elbow room unless they force everyone together. There certainly appears to be enough space in there! Sort of overwhelming when viewed empty. There are still workers wandering around performing tasks to complete whatever else needs to be done and I was asked not to go down the stairs to the lower level just yet. I’ve already considered offering U.S. dollars for someone to sabotage the heating system at regular intervals throughout the training!

Well, up to the room to unpack and settle in. I’ll be working on some pictures tonight and tomorrow while I have some free time. I’m not quite sure how to post them, but will work on making them available to everyone.