Sunday, April 13, 2008

The clock says...

It’s 4:30 in the afternoon here and I feel like I got a bit done today as far as preparation for next week goes without taxing myself to much. A nap is definitely still on the agenda. Maybe I’ll start to adventure after the first few weeks. We will see. I was able to find just about everything I needed with one exception. Beef Jerky! Of course it’s possible that we Americans have so much beef we have to make things up to do with it. The Mexicans probably think I’m crazy, but just know this; I crave beef jerky! I hope to find some soon.

I forgot to mention Bikram’s wife Rajashree. She has taught all of the morning classes and Bikram the evening ones. She’s practically an angel with her beauty, her grace, her melodically hypnotizing voice and apparently a doctor as well (but she doesn’t like to be introduced as such). That’s when she’s speaking in a formal setting or lecturing. In class she can be as hard as Bikram! It’s incredible how she can push you. She doesn’t really push you as much as she encourages you right over the edge of the cliff in a fashion that just breaks down any compulsion to resist. I’m looking forward to the long list of teachers we will be exposed to here in the next 2 months.

A fellow named Craig taught class Saturday and as I mentioned before, it was my best class so far. It’s funny, but he has the reputation of being a bit of a dink and teaching a difficult class, but I have to say he taught exactly what I needed that day and I thought it was a great class. He preached relaxation, breath, unison and energy. I know to breathe, as does everyone, but I may have been attempting to suck up every square inch of air in the room through my gaping mouth. This was, I believe leading to an irritated throat and continued collapses throughout class. I needed to hear it on that particular day, at that particular time, to reacquaint myself with the concept. Lesson #11: control your breathing, control your mind and control your life in every situation!

Emmy will be teaching this coming week and she is Bikram’s most senior instructor. We are all excited but also attempting to find places to hide from her in the studio. Unlikely that a single one of us will avoid her perceptive eyes! In case some don’t know, she’s 83 years old and has lived an incredible life. For those at the studio, please ask Herb & Laiki for more details regarding this truly remarkable woman. I can’t wait to spend some time with her in class.

I also forgot to mention Mary and Carla did an exceptional job delivering their dialogue. I must admit that I was still cramping at the time Carla went up and they made me drink more electrolytes and told me to quickly go to the café and get a sandwich since the extra time needed to put me back together after class precluded me from getting something to eat that evening. When I got back Carla had already performed her dialogue and was in line as a demonstrator. I promise to get some photos of her in the next phase of dialogue. I love her spirit. It’s beautiful, radiant and glowing! I hope she can sense it because I definitely can see it.

I enjoyed my breakfast quite a bit this morning. I relaxed and stayed at the buffet for about an hour. Shrimp soup, an omelet, steamed vegetables, a V8 and more of that cactus/spinach/pineapple juice. Walked around and took more photos of the grounds as well. The temperature is supposed to start breaking the 100-degree mark this week. It’s also the end of the season, so it’s my understanding that this place is going to be pretty empty. It will sort of be like being in an ashram where we will be the only people around and yoga training will be what is done. I won’t be able to amuse myself with the looks of “outsiders” in line for the buffet anymore. I’m sure something else will “tickle me” and I’ll fill you in…

My roommates name is Todd and he’s from Winnipeg, Canada. We are quite a bit different but have been getting along in grand fashion and I see no problems with the arrangements. Remember, my specialty is the meet & greet! We are still getting used to each other’s idiosyncrasies and giving each other enough space to adjust and cohabitate for the next 8 weeks. Hey! I just said 8 weeks, not 9! I’m looking at it in 2-week increments. Next week and it will be 25% over. The end will be here soon enough and so I don’t actually wish for a speedy conclusion as I am hoping to wring every drop of information out of this experience.

One of my buddies, at least we have quickly become friends, broke a rule yesterday. The terms and the punishment were stated unequivocally, well in advance. Forget to sign in up to 5 minutes prior to any session or class regardless of your actual attendance and a make up class is required on the very next Sunday. I myself was a half an hour early for one lecture but almost forgot to sign in. Patrice forgot to sign in for Saturday’s class and had to do a makeup class on Sunday. I made it a point to meet her there prior to the class and give her a hug. She asked me what I was doing there and I said the only reason I was there was to show her support. I remember thinking I would have broken down and cried when I got the phone call and it had to of had the impact of a hammer. Looking forward to a day off and then being told you will not be having one would crush my spirit and I wanted to do everything in my power to ensure that I gave comfort in any way possible, even if it was only a quick smile and a touch.

The simple things can mean so much at a time like this and perhaps that’s lesson #19: Remember to reach out to others in their time of need, even if it’s just a simple gesture. While it may seem like nothing to you, it means the world to them. Everyone knows that, but sometimes we are so wrapped up in our own little worlds that we forget to express our true feelings. Tell people you miss them, you love them, you forgive them. I resolve to work on that and hug more people just because. I also struggle with forgiveness and come from a long line of Italian grudge holders. I now vow to break that cycle. Do you think that’s a bit too mushy? Maybe so, but I honestly have a stream of these types of thoughts pouring from my mind. Perhaps it’s the first step in reconnecting with my own humanity. Here’s one thing I know for sure. Yoga rocks! Good luck to everyone who has decided to undertake a 30-day challenge. It will change your outlook on a number of issues! You can do it and I’m pulling for you…

I ate like a horse this evening. Mass quantities of food. Roast beef, octopus, scallops, shrimp, broccoli, cauliflower, cucumber salad, pizza and some ice cream. I’m glad to see I have gotten my appetite back if only for the weekend. I hope I still fit into my shorts when I get up tomorrow! I also hope all of my intestinal issues have been resolved and liquid does not start to violently shoot out of every orifice in my body. Please forgive the image I just planted, but many people have been struggling with this issue and it can be quite a concern especially when you start to get that little “gurgle” from your stomach in the middle of class! I must say however that today was the best I’ve felt since my arrival here and the start of two a days. I anxiously await the next evolution of this training and appreciate all of the positive thoughts sent our way by everyone following along with this blog.