Saturday, April 12, 2008

Pepto-Bismol

We were warned about bouts of constipation as well as diarrhea upon our arrival and were told that it was not uncommon, even in the states, to be hit by wacky intestinal issues as well as flu like symptoms due to anxiety and stress as well as the detoxification that is going on with all of the yoga being practiced. They also stated that not enough water was a sure fire cause of some of the constipation, which was affecting me. After my little boxing match with my nemesis (and current lightweight champion of the world I might add) Mr. Muscle Cramp, I decided to up the water intake. I had been drinking 1 gallon of water per day prior to this training and now I’m drinking 2 gallons. I actually now think that may not even be enough. I’m a heavy sweater and the rule of thumb seems to be, drink until you are peeing regularly. I feel like a ripe melon ready to burst! It’s hard to eat as well. The temperature is high, you just got out of a class that was grueling and you have an hour and a half to eat and rest. Now slap a giant plate of steaming veggies in front of your face and see if my reaction is the natural reaction. NO THANKS! You have to eat though and not just eat but eat for two. That’s two yoga classes a day! We had a chance to go to Wal-Mart and Sam’s Club today to get stuff like raisins and nuts and things.

We are provided a brunch buffet and they are working on perhaps changing it to a dinner buffet but I’m telling you that I’m not sure how much difference it will make except for the weekends. You think, buffet provided! I’ll just stay there for several hours and chow down! Sweet! It doesn’t work that way. One thing that makes me smile though is that I sometimes catch a look of horror from one of the other guests when they realize that 300 starving and confused people are descending on this buffet line like the swarm of locust upon Egypt in the Old Testament! They have to be thinking, what in the world is going on here. The staff is great and they keep everything full, but there’s a line at every station 6/7 deep. I just smile, strike up a conversation with people and reach in and grab something. I brought a hard-boiled egg cooker but have quickly turned on hard-boiled eggs. The omelets are great but the egg whites make me want to hurl! I’m going with what my body craves (which seems mostly to be sleep) and will probably hold off on the eggs until the body says go. They have some sort of spinach/cactus juice combo here that has to be the drink of some Mayan god. It’s even better immediately after class.

By the way, I think I will be making entries into a journal on my computer and then posting them online Saturday and/or Sunday. It seems to be what the schedule allows.